Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Homemade Cornbread


At my house, the way to make sure a meal is a winner is to serve it up with some good, old fashioned, homemade cornbread, just the way Mammaw used to make.  This is the savory cornbread recipe, not a sweet one.  And bonus, it is gluten-free, so the celiac sufferers in our family can eat it, too!  We have cornbread with stew, jambalaya, soup, and lots more.

I am NOT a fan of cooking, so trust me when I tell you this is easy, almost as easy as opening up a box of Jiffy and whipping it up, but SO much better!  Only 6 ingredients  and an iron skillet needed.


1 cup Buttermilk
1 Egg
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 cup Corn Meal

(I like to save used baking powder cans to keep salt and soda in, because it makes it so much easier to measure out.  And it keeps my cabinet more organized!)

 
Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.  Then place your iron skillet on the stove on medium-high with the bottom covered in corn oil.  Let this heat up while mixing the batter.

I am all for using the least amount of dishes/bowls/etc. when I cook, to cut down on clean-up time.  So, I use my quart sized measuring cup to mix the cornbread batter.  First, measure out the cup of buttermilk.  Then add the egg and beat in well.  Next, I stir in the baking powder, salt and soda.  Last, stir in the cornmeal.


By this time, the oil in your iron skillet should be sizzling and your oven heated up.  Pour the batter into the iron skillet.  The hot oil is what gives you the crispy bottom on the cornbread.  Take the skillet off of the stove and place into the oven to bake for 22 minutes.

Serve hot from the oven; good plain, even better with butter!  YUM!

And don't forget, DO NOT wash your iron skillet with soap!

No comments :

Post a Comment