Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Make Your Own "Chalkboard" Ornament


Last month, I saw these ornaments at Bealls in Tyler. I thought that they were really cute, but didn't want to spend $6 a piece on them. I decided that I could make my own. 
I looked for black shatterproof ornaments (who wants glass ornaments in a house full of kids??), but couldn't find any at a reasonable price. 
Finally, I found these clear plastic ornaments at Walmart for $.97 each; just my price!

All I needed was a can of black satin spray paint and I was ready to make my own black ornaments. 
First, I removed the silver ornament toppers to keep them from being painted. Next, I found a piece of cardboard and placed push pins into it to hold the ornaments upside down for painting. Then, it was time to paint. 

Once the paint was dry, I replaced the silver ornament toppers and the ornaments were ready to be decorated with my white chalk pen. 





I had a basket full of these black ornaments at a Christmas party for my girls' Destination Imagination team. Each of the girls on the team got to decorate an ornament to take home as a party favor. Sadly, I didn't get any pictures of the girls at the party (which is so unlike me; I must have been very distracted that night).
At the end of my ornament project, I had ten ornaments for about the same price that I would have paid for two of those I had seen at the store. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome!




No comments :

Post a Comment